Thursday, 3 February 2011

RECIPE: Mixed Vegetable Curry with Lentils & Rice

Today, I got inspired by my friend-- who also is a vegetarian herself, who cooked a really delicious vegetarian meal when I visited her the last time. I do not know if she actually put curry in her dish but somehow we called it "Something" or "Some-kind-of-a-dish", because she basically just threw in there every fresh vegetables she have and just flavoured it up. Really awesome! Anyway, her dish have fish sauce, smoked cardamom & a lot of other spices. We also ate it with brown rice which made it even more perfect because it matched really smoothly in my mouth. Really good some kind of a dish indeed!

Nevertheless, I suddenly craved for that some kind of a dish and since I have ingredients meant for Tortilla Soup, I do have quite a good selection of fresh vegetables in my fridge. I just have to fetch some spices from the nearest shop since I do not have time anymore to visit the Asian or Indian shop for some special spices and the fish sauce. I just grabbed curry & dried bay leaves actually. The nearest store do not have so much spices selection, anyhow my dish turned up well. It somehow satisfied my tastebuds so my dinner is definitely solved! Anyways, before any further ado, here's the recipe:



Mixed Vegetable Curry with Lentils & Rice

Ingredients:
(picture above shows the vegetable's I used.)
½ sweet potato
½ zucchini
½ auburgine
5 small mushrooms
4 pcs potatoes
2 pcs tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
2 pcs onions
small piece of ginger
a little chili, it depends how much & how hot you want it to be.

1½ dl lentils (pre-cooked)

1 box cream
2 tsp. curry powder
1 pcs. bay leaf
1 vegetable broth
salt & pepper to taste
exceptional: shrimp and/or cashew nuts

Cooking details:

1. Wash, drain & cook lentils accordingly, or follow the instruction that comes with the box.
Once the lentils are cooked, set aside.
2. Sauté onions, garlic & tomatoes altogether.
3. Add Sweet potatoes and potatoes in the pot with the sautéed ingredients.
4. Add about 3 dl water and let it boil until the water is reduced, and then add the remaining
vegetables & the lentils in the pot.
5. While the veggies are cooking, add the curry powder, bay leaf, vegetable broth & let it cook
for about 10 minutes.
6. Add the cream and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
7. Add salt & pepper to taste.
8. (exceptional step) Add shrimps and/or cashew if desired.
9. I served it with hot steaming white rice.

Notes:
  • Be careful when using curry, always taste whenever you are adding more spices.
  • Always let the stew simmer for a couple to five minutes before tasting and before adding more spices. Flavours do not normally come out ala minut right after you put more ingredients or spices. The flavour comes out after letting it sit and blend with other flavours. The trick is: Be Patient.
  • This dish goes best with black or brown rice. I happen to only have white ones.
  • I cooked this in normal pot but cooking it in a slow cooker gives the best tasting result.
  • My friend sprinkled some chopped spring onion on top to give it some colour and extra fresh taste.
  • I actually thought that you can leave the cream behind and just put more water instead to make it much lighter.
  • My roommate cannot stop eating this dish. I need to remind her that she have to save up some portions for my dinner the next day.
Have fun cooking!

Fun fact about me: Whenever I chop or slice something, I always arrange it in a row on my chopping board. I am not OCD, I just like them arranged. I meant my vegetables, not my stuffs. :D

E.

3 comments:

  1. Omg this looks delicious... I'm hungry now!

    Happy easter!

    Love, Sanja

    http://shoesclothesmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete